Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas, my sweet, sensitive 9 year old.  My first child.  My husband and I had been married alittle over a year and a half when we decided to start trying for a baby.  I had anticipated along time of trial and error episodes before becoming pregnant.  Much to my great surprise that wasn't necessary.  I became pregnant very soon after we first made the decision.  So soon in fact, that I had absolutely no idea I was in fact pregnant.  I was away for a weekend conference for my job, and cried the entire time I was there.  A friend, and fellow co-worker must have thought I was completely crazy at the time.  She was very sweet though, and stayed by my side the entire time.  We finally decided to leave early, as the conference proved to be most aggravating, and I was just a mess of emotions.  After I got home I had this sudden thought, that perhaps I was feeling this way because I was pregnant!  My husband waited out in the living room, on the couch, while I took the test.  I didn't even have to wait the normal 2 minutes before it said pregnant.  I watched the line go as it filled the window, and the two lines appeared immediately! 



My pregnancy was pretty tough as I grew in belly size, when I was in my 5th month I had to stop work, and go on disability.  The way I was carrying, Kevin was laying on my my sciatic nerve.  At first it was just a constant dull ache, that eventually turned into stabbing, shooting pains that went through my back, stomacn and down my legs.  One time in particular I had just gotten out of the shower, my husband was working, and my legs went completely numb as I was getting out of the shower.  I fell hard on the floor, but thankfully fell sideways, and didn't hurt my baby.  I had no way to get out of the bathroom, or to call for help since I was alone.  I laid on the floor for over 45 minutes waiting for the feeling to return.  I was freezing, and absolutely terrified.  I cringe now at the thought of that day, it was truly one of the scariest times in my life.  I finally got the feeling back and went to the couch and called my husband in complete hysterics. 



My pregnancy went pretty well after that one episode, because I started physical therapy, which helped a lot!  I had 2 beautiful showers, one from the girls at work, and the other from my mother and sisters.  I had the most beautiful baby things, and was so over joyed.  I couldn't wait to meet him.  Everything that happened to my body was a new experience for me, and I had no idea about so many of the things that did happen.  It's quite an experience to say the least!! 


I was due in the beginning of October, but that day came and went.  All 3 of my labors had to be induced, as I was over due on all of them.  I guess they were just too comfortable in their environments that they wanted to stay!  He was born on October 17th.  I had to have my appendix out exactly one month later.  I was so sad being away from him when he was so young.  Fortunately though I am blessed with the most wonderful family, and my mother and sisters all took turns caring for him while I was in the hospital, and then for me when I was discharged.  I'm very, very blessed!



Wow I've gone much longer than I had anticipated here, with this story.  I haven't even started telling you about how wonderful Kevin is!

Kevin is very sensitive, a lot like his mother.  He has depth to his personality, much like a man would many years his senior.  He is emotional, and loving.  He has a bit of a dislike for school, that I wish he didn't have.  It causes him alot of anxiety, that as his mother I wish I could do something about.  When he was a baby he was diagnosed with G.E.R.D which has been challenging through out his life.  He has learned to deal, and cope with it, but it still has a lot of impact on him.  Kevin is very smart, but he has trouble with confidence.  I often wish he could see himself, as I see him.  He's just a wonderful little person, who has wonderful layers to him, that make him the beautiful child he is.  Kevin loves animals, and has such a sweet caring way about him towards animals.  He feels sadness for things far beyond his years.  He and I will watch movies together, and both be completely hysterical, and then follow up with laughing at each other!  He loves video games, computers, and  anything historical.  He loves dinosaurs, and archeology.  He gets very involved in learning about the worlds history.  He loves to google our presidents, and past inventors and learn certain things about them.  I think he is going to do great things when he's older, especially because he's already doing that now. 




My hope for Kevin, is that he becomes confident in himself, and realizes how important, and special he is.  I want him to know just what a joy he his, and how this world is a much better place because his is in it.  I am so proud to be his mother, and I look forward to all of the adventures we are going to have together.

No comments:

Post a Comment